Sunday, August 25, 2013

Free Consultation,25,August,2013

House Construction

Query-1

Dear Sir, I have plans to buy a plot to build house. But there is rock 3 feet below ground level. Is it advisable to go for this plot? There is paddy field towards one side of the plot and coconut trees towards other sides. There are no trees in this plot.I am worried about water availability as well.

Sudeep

My reply

Rock below is very good for construction of house.Regarding water availability at plot you have to  check up.As paddy field is nearby water should be available

Query-2

Sir, Now I am in Mumbai. I have some plot in Kerala, Koottanad, Palghat. I want to build a house there  800 sq.ft. only ground floor. 2 Bedroom, 1 hall, Dining Hall, Kitchen 2 Bathroom./toilet
Can you give me . cost for the house.

Query-3

Dear Thomas Sir,
I want to building a house of 2500 sft at Palghat but due to budgetary constraints, I want to do the work only up to structure & plastering now. How much it would cost for such a work if i use rock for foundation with belt & red bricks for walls.
Subramanian

Query-4

I am , presently at Chennai, wishing to construct a residential building at TVM as my retirement scheme.its proposed as a 3 storied apartment with 10 studio units with 2300 sft area ground floor on which half will be marked as car parking. first & second floors will be having 4 units each.1.the land is not a solid one and it was calculated around 32 columns are required and each we need to pile around 7 to 8mtrs. Give me a rough estimate for ground floor and other floors per sq. feet.

Chanthu

My reply

First of all a professional has to design your house considering site conditions,your requirements and budget limitations if any.Then only you will know even plinth area of the house.There is no formula of finding cost of construction simply based on possible plinth area.House construction involves hundreds of materials and different type of labour.Cost of all these goes up every day in Indian conditions.No two contractor construct house in similar manner .Then how can there be a fixed square feet cost of construction?.As people like you insist on getting a “square feet rate” before entrusting construction contract,contractors quote a figure and try to adjust and compromise on everything during construction to save their profit margin in highly cost volatile situation

Query-5

Hello Sir,
My house Construction is going and structure completed,Can i use gypsum plaster instead of normal plaster to reduce the cost? please advise me the advantages and disadvantages of gypsum plaster in Kerala Climatic conditions .
Anjali,
My reply

Gypsum plastering is cheaper and there is nothing wrong in it

Query-6

We have a family property of 4 cent, is it possible to built two house in that 4 cent.

My reply

Cents is only area of the plot and do not give information on frontage and depth of the plot.Only after checking site plan of the plot,I can comment on this

Query-7

The precast walls idea is very much relevant for Kerala considering the scarcity of the materials and costly labour. Although you said that the decision on material should be based on the conditions of the plot, the climate conditions in Kerala is more or less the same across the state. SO the general question is - is Gypsum boards suitable for Kerala climate or not. Is there any specific case study done on this? What is your recommendation?

My reply

Gypsum boards can be used for partition walls and interior work

Query-8

Can you give me some directions about the latest trends in wood works in Kerala. I got some timber last week. I would like to get it sawed this week and I am not really sure about how it has to be done since my housing plan is not yet finalized. It would be great if you can give some general directions about the latest trends

sir my name is basil.my plot is 5 ft below the road level.and which type of plan is suitable for this plot with out leveling the road?

My reply

Without finalising even plan of the house,you cannot get an idea on wood requirement.Instead of trying to get bits of information from any one you come across,go for professional guidance from beginning to end of house construction

Extension/remodeling of house

Query-1

I have a house which was constructed on 2006 with two Bedroom,One Kitchen,Hall, Bathroom,Pooja Room and a Porch.This all comes to around 1200SqFeet.Now i am interested to extend two rooms.there is slight problem on the kitchen area and i need to extend it and one room more.Can I get to know if any good architecture at Kollam area to better check on estimation cost for these two rooms.
Please give me details to contact.
I will highly appreciate that.
Manoj

My reply

For getting better design and guidance during construction it will be better to get experts from wherever you can find instead of going only to a local person.Extension,remodeling.I myself have designed several houses in your area and also acted as consultant during construction providing detailed architectural/engineering drawings instructions even though I am based at Cochin

If interested write to me to

vhthomas@viruvelil.com

 

Building Permit

Query-1

Hello Thomas,
There are apartments situated on water front, in Kadavanthra and Maradu in Kochi. Does CRZ restrictions apply to these already constructed flats. From which government office, can I know, if CRZ restrictions has been applied to any Apartment construction, to prevent me from buying them.
ALEX.

My reply

Existing apartments having building number,Electricity connection and all other legal documents properly .Read relevant details of documents essential at our website

www.keralaarchitecture.com

Check link.Architectural guidance

Query-2

I have taken permit to build a commercial building in a panchayat area in ERNAKULAM Dt about 5 years back. As I left for a job abroad I cold not complete the building or renew the permit. the building is half completed . how should I renew the permit

My reply

Apply to same Panchayath for renewal of permit.If they insist for fresh application for permit,apply and get a new permit.As long as your half completed building is constructed within building rules there cannot be any problem for you

Query-3

My neighbor is constructing an infrastructure with shop on the ground floor and residence on the first floor. The plot area is 6 cents. As per the rule I want the building to be 1.2 m away from my plot including sunshade and water pipe, drainages etc. my quires are
a) am I right regarding the distance from my plot.
b) any rule regarding distance of shop from a neighbors house
c) is written consent of neighbor mandatory before starting construction for the panchayath

d) For getting electricity connection for my neighbour shall I give my consent before or after the construction is completed?

My reply

Normal side clearance required are 1M and 1.2M.Hence he can construct his building keeping this clearance.Only if he want to have lesser clearance from your plot,he will have to get your consent

For electricity connection he do not need your consent

Query-4

Dear sir,
I have one cent land in EKM in urban area ,What is the max square feet area (Per floor) I can build in this area?The road ends in my compound.How many floors can I build?

My reply

Without visiting the site I cannot comment on it

Query-5

what is minimum required completion stage of a building (house) and minimum required documents to apply for a building number in municipality?

My reply

Once the house construction reaches a stage by which structure and joinery are fixed and house can be kept under lock and key,you can apply for numbering with a completion plan prepared by a licensed Engineer/Architect along with appropriate application and quoting reference of original permit for building construction

Query-6

Dear Mr. Thomas,
I am intend to buy a plot along the side of Muvattupuzha River and it is close to Tripunithura Cochin . There are houses constructed recently in the same row. Following are my clarifications.
1) Is the specified location coming under the CRZ rule, the plot is approx. 40 Meters away from the river
2) The fair value search site indicates the specified resurvey number category as “Residential Plot with Road Access”, does that mean we can build a house irrespective of the CRZ rules?

Query-7

I have a plot which has 5O m away from Mahe river. now i want to construct a house there.. shall i able to construct a home there?

My reply

Approach concerned local authority office with survey No and location plan of the plot to check whether you will be given sanction for construction of house before buying the plot

Query-8

I would like to know to whom I access to get a fallen riverside to be built with side wall to avoid further soil fall and losing land towards river

Basheer

Query-9

I have a plot abutting a river and have plans to build a house there. How much is the minimum backyard(distance form river to the building) required? Also how much is the minimum front yard required? It is a village and the width of the road abutting the plot is not more than 3 -3.5 M

My reply

Approach your local authority to get sanction  for construction

Query-10

Sir,
I have a house plot of 2Cent inside Trivandrum corporation.Please explain what are the exceptions available for construct a house below 3 Cent.

Query-11

I intend to purchase a small (3 cents rectangular 43X30 Ft ) plot in Kozhikode Corporation and would like to build a small house there. The plot is surrounded by residential buildings on all sides and there is free access to the plot from the common access to five houses within the compound. How much space should I leave from the front wall, rear wall and side walls?

My reply

For 3 cents and  less than 3 cents,relaxation in clearance space is available.Approach your local authority to find exact clearance applicable in your case with specific details of the plot

Interior work

Query-1

Thank you for providing useful information. We are constructing a house and I would like to know your opinion regarding the material to be used for kitchen/bedroom cupboards. Currently we are considering plywood as per our contractor's suggestion

Deepa

My reply

For Kitchen cabinets it will be better to have the structure done by good quality marine ply and front portions done with teak wood or Mahogany.Ply wood or low quality marine ply can reduce life of your cupboards

Query-2

Sir I have an independent double storey house in Chennai- i would like the traditional Kerala style woodwork with Charupadi  in my balcony - will you be able to help me- and how much will it cost.

My reply

If we get exact measurements of living spaces with a professional plan,we can design and supply interior wood work

Nalukettu type Houses

Query-1

What is the design principle of nalukettu? How many types of nalukettu are there? What should be the measurement of courtyard ?Can you explain?

My reply

Normal features of a Nalukettu house are

1.Poomukham which is an extended sit out projecting out to front side of house

2.Chuttu verandah-It was around the house initially

3.Nadumuttom-A central court yard,usually square in shape.It also calls for at least a four feet wide passage around it for movement around the area.Open to sky is the olden norm.

If you have one Nadumuttom,it is called Nalukettu.Two Nadumuttom house is Ettu kettu and four Nadumuttom house is Pathinarukettu

In the present conditions leaving so much space is not economically viable.Keeping central portion of house open to sky is also not  workable

No comments: